Front-End Website Developer
As a Front-End Website Developer, your role will be focused on bringing to life our bespoke website designs and ensuring they function effectively from a front-end perspective. We primarily focus on custom WordPress builds so this is a highly desirable CMS to be familiar with for this role.
Your role will involve working closely with other members of the web team, such as Designers, Developers, Account Managers, Project Managers and more.
You will need to have an excellent understanding of the relevant best practices and techniques, coupled with a love for problem-solving and progress.
You will be joining at an exciting growth phase of the agency and will play a pivotal role in shaping the direction we travel in.
We’re looking for the best of the best to join our rapidly growing community and to be part of our culture built around bringing new ideas to the table, producing work to the highest standards and having fun while doing so!
Front-end Developer Responsibilities:
- Accurately translate UI/UX designs into a functional user interface, and work closely with designers to bring visual designs to life.
- Ensure that websites and applications work across different browsers and devices, inc. testing site functionality on different browsers and operating systems.
- When necessary undertake the pre-launch checks of projects inline with company processes.
- Integrate front-end with back-end functionalities, often working closely with back-end developers.
- Ensure websites meet accessibility requirements.
- Assist in creating wireframes or low-fidelity mockups, if required.
- Assist in explaining technical aspects to clients, if needed.
- Complete timing estimation sheets to help quote for new website project work.
- Debug issues in your own/colleagues code and resolve them in a timely manner.
- Document code so other developers can understand and contribute to it.
- Ensure regular maintenance of existing client websites
- Implement basic on-page SEO elements like meta tags, proper heading structure, and image alt attributes.
- Keep up to date with the latest coding standards and best practices in front-end development.
- Regularly update the project manager or team lead on progress or any roadblocks.
- Support with maintenance and updates of support Clients, ensuring continued functionality and compliance with the latest web standards.
- Use of Git or other version control systems to manage codebases.
- Confident in screen recording voice-over videos to explain certain elements to the client
- Use of AI tools to assist with projects to increase development efficiency and improve documentation
Required Skills & Experience:
- Experience with WordPress, including custom theme and plugin development
- Ideally, have knowledge in one server-side technology such as PHP
- Ideally, be comfortable in conversation with clients
Any experience in the following technologies would be advantageous -WordPress, Photoshop, DNS
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and problem-solving attitude
- Detail-oriented and passionate about delivering high-quality work
- Ability to work well as part of a team and individually
At Hewitt Matthews, we’re passionate about our culture, our values and about always improving our way of working.
We give all team members a large amount of flexibility and autonomy, and in return ask them to hold themselves accountable to their colleagues, their clients and the agency as a whole to deliver exceptional outcomes.
Salary & Benefits
Salary will be decided based on experience and seniority, however, the banding for this role sits between£27,000 - £30,000 per annum.
We’re committed to building a truly exceptional place to work. And while we’d never claim to always get it right, we do promise that we’ll always do our best. Here are some of the benefits of joining our team:
- Generous holiday package (21 Days Paid Holiday + all UK Bank Holidays)
- An exciting opportunity to grow with one of Hampshire’s fastest-growing digital agencies
- Genuinely flexible working and a commitment to supporting “life beyond work” for our team members
- Free on-site parking with 24/7 security
- Flexible working hours
- Hybrid or remote working options considered
- Competitive salary based on talent and experience
- Pension contributions
- Conferences, events, and training days
- Regular company social events
- A non-hierarchical structure that celebrates expertise and supports autonomy
You will be an important part of a growing agency and will be a part of a close-knit company with progression opportunities and a bright future ahead.
If you are interested in finding out about this Front-end Website Developer opportunity, please click 'apply now’ or firstname.lastname@example.org your CV attached.
Never mediocre. Always innovative.