Sales & Marketing Lead (full or part-time)
Please note: you must have the existing right to live and work in the UK.
Are you passionate about using your skills to nurture our micro business and help us meet our exciting and meaningful goals? Do you love working across marketing and sales, from strategy development to its practical implementation?
We are looking for someone who would like to take our agency to the next level as we reach the right clients and hit our aspirations to grow in size, revenue, and reputation as a purposeful and ethical business. If you are passionate about science, and believe in people-powered, inclusive research and innovation to change the world for the better, this may be the opportunity for you.
We are in growth phase, so we need someone able to develop and monitor an insights-driven sales and marketing strategy, turn this into action, and support a healthy sales pipeline. As we are small; you must also feel comfortable at the coalface of creativity, running campaigns, creating assets, supporting tenders and pitches, and convincing clients of our value. We also need your expertise to launch two new products, refresh our website and guide us through a likely rebrand as we reposition the company.
This is a rare chance where you get to shape your role and make it your own, nurture your leadership, and embed excellent and systematic sales and marketing processes and practices into the company as the bedrock for our growth. You will be joining a team of supportive and kind colleagues who work openly, ethically and as a team to meet company objectives and encourage personal development.
Scientia Scripta is an equal opportunity employer. Our values are integrity, justice, compassion, and sustainability. Our commitment to these values is unwavering and they are central to our mission. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries. We want all candidates to feel comfortable, welcome and be able to bring their best to the process. Please contact us regarding any reasonable adjustments you require; this will not affect our selection process in any way.
- Liaise with and lead on all aspects of sales and marketing to support our exciting growth and development plan.
- Develop and refine our sales and marketing strategy and annual implementation plans.
- Develop and deliver multichannel marketing campaigns and support on-going social media presence.
- Guide sales and marketing strategy and activities for new product launches.
- Contribute to and advise on the company’s repositioning process and potential rebrand.
- Raise visibility and reputation of company and team members through PR, speaking events etc.
- Identify, book and deliver pitches and sales meetings.
- Website refresh, content management, maintenance, and performance monitoring.
- Reporting to leadership team.
- Develop newsletter, blog and other thought leadership opportunities as an effective sales and marketing channel.
Essential strengths and skills
Assessed by: A = application; I = assignment and interview.
- Ability to develop effective marketing and sales copy for different audiences. [A, I]
- Able to move between “big picture/long-term” strategic planning and the minutiae of specific task delivery [A, I]
- Able to create and/or commission a wide range of marketing assets including emails, leaflets, social media campaigns, press releases, pitch decks and other marketing and sales assets. [I]
- Able to take initiative and work independently, being pro-active and reactive in response to opportunities and challenges. [A, I]
- Good interpersonal skills and happy to present and pitch to clients. (I]
- Self-motivated, organised and able to meet targets and deadlines. [A, I]
- Confident use of Microsoft Office, WordPress and able to upskill quickly on other platforms. [I]
- Able to set up and follow business processes and workflows. [I]
- Innovative, keen to develop new ideas and able to prioritise them against operational deliverables. [I]
Desirable skills and knowledge
Assessed by: A = application; I = assignment and interview.
- Able to lead, contribute to and review bids and tenders. [I]
- Knowledge of the UK research and innovation landscape (private and public sectors). [I]
- Good graphic design skills to assure quality of marketing assets, websites, etc. [I]
- Skills required to develop and manage messaging, website content and brand. [I]
- Experience or knowledge of sales and marketing for purpose-led businesses. [I]
Salary and benefits
- 0.6FTE – 1.0FTE
- £40,000 gross (pro-rated if part-time)
- 25 days annual leave (or pro-rated equivalent) + bank holidays + Christmas closure
- Company pension (5% personal contribution, 3% company contribution)
- Optional smart salary sacrifice to enhance pension contributions
- Fully remote/working from home, with quarterly in-person meetings
- Company laptop provided
This is not a commission-based contract. The company believes that every employee contributes to business success. Annual bonuses may be paid at the discretion of the senior leadership team if minimum profit targets are met.
How to apply
Stage 1: “No CV” application; closing date Sunday 26 November 2023 at 11:59pm
We do not require your CV as our short-listing process focuses on the skills and strengths of applicants conducted in a blind review based on responses to a set of standard questions. We will evaluate each application based on the application form responses only, which should demonstrate how your strengths and skills align with our needs, our company culture and the key tasks outlined in the job description. Each question is graded on scale of 1 (poor) to 5 (outstanding).
Applicants will be informed of their application outcome by 1 December 2023. Short-listed candidates will be asked to send their CV and provide evidence of their right to live and work in the UK at this stage. They will also receive full details of the follow-up assignment and interview process.
Stage 2: Remote assignment
Short-listed candidates will be asked to conduct a short assignment, designed to help them apply their skills and strengths to sales and marketing. We will send the assignment on Monday 4 December; it will need to be submitted on Wednesday 6 December 2023.
Stage 3: Online interview
Online interviews will be held on Friday 8 December 2023. You will present your assignment to the senior leadership team, followed by questions about your presented work. We will also ask some more general questions about your skills, strengths and aspirations which we will send to you in advance. You will have an opportunity to ask the team questions about the business and our future plans.
We work hard to ensure you have the best chance possible to be your best during interview. There are no trick questions, and we will ask you about any adjustments or preferences you may have to minimise stress and make the experience satisfying for everyone.
We will send all interviewees a £50 Ethical Superstore voucher in recognition of their significant time and effort during the recruitment process.
We will inform all short-listed candidates of our decision w/c Monday 11 December 2023.
Democratising science and innovation, for good.